Make Your Own Dishwasher Soap Pods
With essential oils and a few simple ingredients from your local co-op, you can enjoy sparkling clean dishes with this DIY recipe.
The cleaning power of these homemade dishwasher soap pods comes from a basic, biodegradable combination of washing soda and sodium borate (a mined salt). And the addition of plain old white vinegar provides a spot-free rinse. Another added bonus is the clean, fresh aroma of pure tangerine and lemon essential oils.
Dishwasher Soap Pods with Tangerine Essential Oil
Total time: 24 hours; 15 minutes active
Makes 20 pods
- 1 cup washing soda (sodium carbonate)
- 1 cup Borax (sodium borate)
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Aura Cacia® Tangerine Essential Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Aura Cacia® Lemon Essential Oil
- 1/2 cup water
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except water. Stir until completely mixed.
- Into ingredients in bowl, gradually add water a little at a time, just until mixture begins to clump together.
- Portion and press mixture into a flexible ice cube tray.
- Let sit for 24 to 48 hours, or until pods are firm enough to pop out of mold.
- To use, place one pod in dishwasher and run.
- If using ice cube trays, spray with a natural non-stick spray before filling with soap mixture for easier removal.
- To store the pods, keep in an airtight container until ready to use.