Hearty Kale and White Bean Stew
Total Time:50 minutes; 20 minutes active
Warm up with this hearty, healthy stew.
- 2 cups diced red onion
- 2 cups diced carrot
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 cups chopped kale, stems removed
- 1 12-ounce can white beans
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded Romano cheese (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the onions, carrots, garlic, squash and mushrooms and saute for 5-10 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to an 8-quart stock pot and add the stock, kale, beans, tomatoes, Dijon mustard, fresh rosemary and red pepper flakes. Cover the pot and let cook for additional 20 minutes or until the kale is soft. Top with shredded Romano cheese if desired before serving.
Hearty autumn vegetables plus dark green kale make for a beautiful warming bowl of stew. Serve with brown bread or rye crackers.
330 calories, 15 g. fat, 25 mg. cholesterol, 910 mg. sodium, 41 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. fiber, 15 g. protein