Summer Vegetable Quiche
Total Time:1 hour 10 minutes; 15 minutes active
This tasty basic quiche recipe can be easily adapted with your choice of in-season and local ingredients.
- 1 10-inch prebaked pie crust
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini and/or yellow squash, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, sliced or diced
- 2 loosely-packed cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup milk
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, peppers, and spinach and saute for a few minutes just until tender. Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg white, milk, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese on the bottom of the prebaked crust, then evenly cover with the vegetables. Add the Parmesan cheese and then pour in the egg mixture. Bake for about 45 minutes or until firm in the middle. Let the quiche sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.
This basic quiche recipe can be easily adapted with your choice of in-season and local ingredients. Try any combination of locally-made sausage or bacon crumbles, sliced or diced tomatoes, arugula, or corn kernels for an “eat local” version.
282 calories, 15 g. fat, 105 mg. cholesterol, 375 mg. sodium, 22 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 12 g. protein