Tomato Artichoke Sandwich with Edamame Spread
Total Time:15 minutes
When vine-ripened, local tomatoes are in season, make this sandwich to feature their juicy perfection. An easy pâté of edamame, parsley and lemon is the plant-based protein for this sandwich, and artichoke hearts and greens add even more texture and color to this packable meal.
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 12 ounces frozen edamame, shelled, thawed, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1 large or 2 small baguettes, split
- 2 large tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 2 cups mixed greens
- Place the parsley and garlic in the bowl of the food processor and process to chop. Scrape down and add the edamame, then process until smooth, scraping down as needed. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, water and salt and process to make a spreadable paste. Scrape out into a medium bowl.
- Drain the artichoke hearts and pat dry.
- Cut the baguette into four portions and toast.
- Spread the edamame mixture over the bottom half of each baguette section, then top with artichoke hearts, tomato slices and mixed greens. Place the top baguette section on each sandwich and serve.
Serve with a handful of crispy potato chips, carrot sticks or a juicy plum.
410 calories, 11 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 800 mg. sodium, 64 g. carbohydrate, 9 g. fiber, 17 g. protein