Turmeric Pork Loin with Root Vegetable Slaw
Total Time:1 hour; 40 minutes active
Pork loin gets a tenderizing treatment by pounding the sliced meat and bathing it in yogurt. This is a delicious way to use an inexpensive cut of meat. The colorful slaw is a snap to make with the shredding blade of your food processor, and it’s a crunchy side for the savory spiced pork.
- 1-pound boneless pork loin roast
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 medium beet, peeled
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, slivered
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- Slice the pork across the grain into four even steaks, then place on a cutting board. Place waxed paper on each and use a meat hammer or a small saucepan to pound the pork to ½-inch thick. Place in a gallon zip-top bag or storage container.
- In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt, turmeric, cumin, salt, one tablespoon of the lemon juice and the honey, then pour over the pork. Turn to coat, then refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to four hours.
- Fit a food processor with a shredding blade (or use a hand grater). Shred the beet and carrots and place in a large bowl. In a cup, stir the olive oil, remaining two tablespoons of lemon juice, salt and cayenne (if using). Pour over the shredded vegetables, add mint and scallions and toss to coat. Let stand to marinate while you prepare the pork.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat, then drizzle with the tablespoon of avocado oil. Let heat for a few seconds. Take two pork portions out of the bag or container, scraping excess marinade back into the container with a large spoon, then place them in the hot pan. Cook for about two minutes per side, until browned and cooked through. Place the finished pork on a plate and keep warm; repeat for the remaining pork.
- Serve topped with slaw and garnished with additional mint, if desired.
Serve with spiced, roasted potatoes or garlic naan.
350 calories, 26 g. fat, 70 mg. cholesterol, 420 mg. sodium, 6 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 23 g. protein