Total Time:40 minutes; 20 minutes active
Coconut lovers know that the classic macaroon is a chewy, sweet treat. In this recipe, the cookie is just a little bit chewier, thanks to the texture of wide-cut coconut chips, which lends more coconut flavor with less sugary sweetness than many other macaroons. A generous hint of lime gives these a bit of tropical flair.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy. Whisk in the sugar, lime zest and salt.
- Stir and fold in the coconut chips until well mixed.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons of the mixture, pack tightly, then place on the prepared pan, leaving two inches between scoops.
- Bake for eight minutes, then reverse the position of the pan and bake for eight minutes longer. When golden brown, remove from oven and cool on a rack.
- Store macaroons in a tightly sealed container for up to a week.
These are the perfect ending to a brunch accompanied by tea or coffee.
110 calories, 9 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 60 mg. sodium, 8 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 1 g. protein