Persimmon Upside Down Yogurt Cake
Total Time:1 hour; 20 minutes active
When persimmons arrive at your co-op, do you know what to do with them? Fuyu are the squat, round variety and hachiya are oblong and slightly pointed. Both varieties should be allowed to ripen at room temperature until soft to the touch. Fuyu can be used while slightly firmer, while hachiya need to be completely soft. When ripe, use fuyu for this cake, or use either variety for a chutney or fruit salad.
- 8 tablespoons, or 1 stick, butter, divided
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 ripe fuyu persimmons, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place half of the butter in a 9-inch springform cake pan. Place the pan in the oven for 2 minutes to melt the butter. Spread the melted butter evenly over the bottom of the pan, and then sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter. Place the persimmon slices in overlapping concentric circles on the mixture, and then set the pan aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk to mix.
- In a stand mixer or a bowl with an electric mixer, beat the remaining half stick of butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs until smooth, scrape down and beat briefly. Beat in the flour mixture, and when the flour is just incorporated, beat in the yogurt until smooth.
- Dollop the batter evenly over the persimmon, spreading it evenly to the edges of the pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with no wet batter attached.
- Cool the cake for 5 minutes on a rack, then run a thin knife around the cake to loosen. Remove the pan. Place a plate on top of the cake and use hot pads to hold the plate tight to the cake as you flip to invert the cake. Carefully remove the bottom of the pan.
This cake is simply gorgeous and needs little adornment. Serve with hot tea or coffee.
330 calories, 13 g. fat, 80 mg. cholesterol, 190 mg. sodium, 49 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 5 g. protein